Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Teaching, school parades, and skipping.. All in one!


This week I finally got to teach four lessons for my 11th grade classes. I taught on the cumulative project, but still it was amazing. I really enjoyed going to work with them to the library and work with each student individually, trying to figure out what they want to do and how they want to accomplish it. Letting them be independent workers and know that they could broaden my view. I finally felt that I was fitting into my teacher role. The students asked me questions and came to me to get extra materials and that felt good. Even my cooperative teacher said I looked like I had fun and I did.

            Since it was mostly me teaching this week, I did not learn too many new skills, but what I did learn throughout the experience is the importance of being personable with students, building the relationship, and having a sense of humor through it all. That’s what I am trying and will implement in my future classroom, that relaxed and trusting environment for the students and myself of course.

            One thing that happened today that have broaden my view and it was also my other highlight was the school-led parade this morning. As I was standing by the wall, the students that participated were some of my students, who I just worked with on their assignments. I had no idea they were involved in those activities such as band or cheerleading or football. It showed more of their talents and made me not only be proud of them, because they have so much to offer to the world they are living in, but also just see them in a whole new way.

            The one perplexing situation that happened during my observation was on the day that the substitute teacher was where almost half of the students were skipping. It is not surprising, I think I did the same thing when I was in high school, but I guess I did not notice it of the bet. The students all needed to go to the library, so whole bunch of passes were wrote out. The next Monday, it finally hit me, because the girls that stayed in the classroom told my cooperative teacher that that is basically what happened on Friday and I did not even comprehend it until that moment. So yea, that’s my week!

No comments:

Post a Comment