Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Actually teaching... real stuff!


This week was exciting for me because I got to teach an actual full 2 lessons. I did an overview on Poe and the Gothic Literature genre. The first period went by very smooth with no nerves whatsoever. I finally felt comfortable and capable. Now, fifth period was a different story.  I think it showed me the importance of differentiating instruction and maybe changing your management plan when needed. I had to really remember what to do when you have a lot of side-bar conversations. So, my 3 second plan in motion was to change my place, move around. It is kind of hard when you are presenting a subject, especially when introducing something new, but I moved to the middle of the classroom, and that actually improved things a lot. It was a funny day. My clicker did not like me; I had to think of plan B on the fly because my planned lesson finished earlier than necessary. I definitely felt like a teacher – thinking on my toes.

            So this is what I learned – just to go with the flow and reflect as you go. If something does not work and you are aware of it, think of what you can do differently. I had to learn from my own experience instead of my teacher this week, because I was doing all the teaching. Another thing is sometimes you have to give the students some space. One boy was just having an off day, struggling, but knowing him and knowing that he actually does his work, I talked to him and let him just relax. We were in the library doing research at that time. Trusting your students is another thing. You know just not being on their case all the time. We not there to baby-sit and I have to kind of try not to, especially with AP students. I gotta remember to give them time to independently work and take responsibility for their work.

            I think that is what I would also take away to my own teaching is giving students time for independent study. They are capable of that, of being the proprietors of their own education and I need to let them do that. So having some research and independent work day when I will have my own classroom would be very beneficial for my students.

            I guess a hard situation this week was just the side-bar stuff during the 5th and the issues with the clicker. I was a little lost on how to minimize it. I do not mind a bit of it, but instead of answering the question so the whole class could hear, many students just told the person next to them. I had to fish the answers out of them. Overall, it was not so bad, I like their energy and not everything always goes on perfectly and different classes have different dynamics. All in all, I had a lot of fun teaching and figuring out that I can fit in to that role and be that personal teacher that cares about her students. Keep marching on!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment